Pidula Hall, the main building of the manor, was built about 300 years ago. Its main structure was built after the Great Northern War in the 1720's. Over the centuries, the Hall has been refurbished and expanded by many owners.. The southern facade was probably renovated at the same time as the construction of the Administrator's Lodge in 1858 happened. That year is incised in the stone above the entrance into the cellar of the Lodge.
The builder of Pidula Hall was Matthias Christoph von Stackelberg. At the end of the 1700's, Pidula passed through marriage into the hands of the von Toll family. They, like so many of the Ritterschaft saw it confiscated after Estonia's War of Independence in 1918.
After nationalisation, Pidula Hall housed a grammar school until the early 1970's. During this period, the school's most important principal was Jakob Laul, an influential man in the areas of music and culture. During the Second World War, first the Soviet Union and then Germany occupied the Baltic States, including Estonia and Saaremaa.
After the Germans arrived in 1940, Jakob Laul – as the story has it – correctly predicted Germany's ultimate defeat in the war. This premature statement cost him his life. An envious neighbour saw his chance and complained to the Germans. They arrested Jakob and shot him dead in the courtyard of Kuressaare Castle.
After the school was closed in the early 1970's, Pidula's buildings passed from hand to hand, until the hall was purchased by OÜ Pidula Mõis. This Finnish-owned enterprise is developing Pidula into a high-quality centre for rural tourism. Today, the Administrator's Lodge is ready to welcome guests, with six first-class double rooms, meeting facilities and a beer and wine cellar.